FROM THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE



Books are the greatest tool for knowledge yet most of us almost always fail to cultivate the act of reading. I have never been able to persuade myself enough to not read books on varying subjects because i hold strictly to the idea that "no knowledge is wasted."
Not too long ago, i was part of Reading School, a Youngstars Foundation Abuja initiative, as a prerequisite for Young Aspirant Leadership Fellowship (YALF). This lasted for a period of eight (8) weeks with The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven R. Covey as the study text.
It is my pleasure to share one of the THE PRINCIPLES OF PERSONAL VISION: BE[ing] PROACTIVE (Habit One).

A summary of chapter:
The focus here is on taking the initiative in life by realizing that decisions (and how they align with life's principles) are key factors for effectiveness. Take responsibility for our choices and the implications that may follow. Steven points out that, our lives do not just happen. Whether we know it or not, it is carefully designed by us. The choices, after all, are ours. We choose sadness, decisiveness, ambivalence. We equally choose success or failure. We choose courage or fear. We must remember that every moment, every situation, provides a new choice. And in doing so, it gives up a perfect opportunity to do things differently to produce more positive results.

Key concepts that transformed my thinking:
The Concepts of choice and decision making, as I have rediscovered, will always impact our lives. Most of us are not aware that everything we do sends a ripple into the world. Every genuine action generates a reaction that reaches far. It is truly important to make good choices of the kind that will affect the people around up in a way that will motivate them to follow our examples.

Evaluating myself based on the principle of habit 1:
I consider myself a proactive person because I recognize that to take responsibility for my life is the key to helping myself and the people around me. Especially as i am on the constantly look out for solutions to problems that affect me directly or indirectly. I still have a long way to go.

What i stand to lose if i don't take action on this principle:
Simply put. Failing to follow through on this habit will brand me as someone who instead of taking responsibility for my actions and the resultant consequences, i will become reactive and seek for situations and people to lay blame on for my mistakes.

Specific actions to put into practice:
- To stay focused and consistent.
- To always opt to contribute my own to problem-solving and development.

How does applying this principles help me in becoming an exemplary leader:
Being proactive is about thinking and acting in advance by paying immediate attention to pressing issues. As a leader, my goal will remain to discharge the responsibilities of my office without making excuses that will not add value to the people.

Note:
- Proactive people focus their efforts on their circle of influence. They work on things they can do something about.
- Gaining an awareness of the areas in which we expand our energies in is a giant step in becoming proactive.



Posted via Blogaway


Comments